Friday, May 27, 2005

Eat-With-Family Day

Starting two years ago, there is a new day called Eat-With-Family Day in Singapore. It falls on the last Friday of May. It is a way by government to encourage companies to release employers to release the employees to go home earlier so that they can have dinner with family members. Today is such a day.

There is no special arrangement required. For my company, we were allowed to go home at 5pm. This is nothing special as people starting work from 8pm would have gone home by that time. Howeve, it is a good gesture from the company.

On my way home I say my co-worker. She was in a rush. I complimented her as a good mother and housewife rushing home to prepare dinner for the family to eat together. But to my suprise, she told me she was late for her appointment with friends at Orchard Road.

Well, there are many ways to celebrate any events. For her, perhaps, that was the best, since she might not have the chance to see and meet up with her friends as her work would only be finished after 6pm.

The whole idea to have such a day is very good, indeed. Finally, it is up to the individual to decide how best to utilise it without neglecting the true meaning of the special day.